The Green Hotel was constructed in 1913 by the Kern County
Land Company to house prospective land buyers. Located
centrally downtown it was the city’s first commercial building.
It served as headquarters for the land company during its
sales activities in the Shafter area and is one of the few
remaining buildings which represent that era of development
in Kern County. The Hotel is an excellent representation of
the type of inexpensive construction used in the county. It is
an example of Twentieth Century Homestead Architecture
and was constructed at the height of the Bungalow Era.